I have lived in Lethbridge for over 27 years. During that time, I have attended college, started a family, and conducted business.
I have 2 daughters Jayden and Jelayna that attend Lethbridge College and the University of Lethbridge. Jennifer, my wife, is a Registered Nurse at the Chinook Regional Hospital. My extended family includes local business owners, healthcare professionals, teachers, and law enforcement personnel. I enjoy running, playing hockey, and attending local live theatre.
I have built 4 successful businesses in our city, including Copy Express, which I have operated for over 20 years.
I am a real guy, with real life experience! I have experienced success and also taken some hard knocks. I have worked hard for what I have, and I truly understand the value of a dollar. I am just like you.
I would ask you to please vote Blaine Hyggen for City Council on October 16.
Over the past 4 years I have worked on Council to achieve:
- Maintaining the ambulance dispatch centre in Lethbridge
- An emergent resolution on urban drilling
- The commitment of a multipurpose leisure complex in West Lethbridge
- A comprehensive waste diversion strategy for our city
- Welcoming Syrian Refugees as valued new members of our community
- Renovations and improvements to the Henderson Pool
- Fast tracking the Whoop-Up Drive Twinning and Métis Trail construction
- Ensuring our city has the broadband and IT infrastructure needed to be competitive in the broadband economy
- New incentives to spur new residential and commercial development in our downtown
- Construction of Legacy Park, a 74-acre regional park in North Lethbridge
- $350-million investment from Cavendish Farms, the largest investment in our city’s history
- A new destination management plan that will heighten the profile of Lethbridge
- A proactive community response to the growing opioid crisis and how it’s affecting our city
- The approval of a 10-year Community Reconciliation Implementation Plan in response to the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
- Expansion of the Lethbridge Transit service to new neighbourhoods including Garry Station and BlackWolf
- Adoption of the new River Valley Parks Master Plan
- Protection our urban forest from European Elm Scale
- The launch of the LethRequests app
- Greater financial oversight through implementation of interim forecast reports to Council
Over the next 4 years I would like to work on:
- Ensuring Council is focused on achieving the goals it outlined in the Capital Improvement Program, and responsibly maintaining the budgets as they’ve been approved.
- Ensuring the programs and initiatives that Council has planned and initiated over the past 4 years continue to move forward to implementation and completion.
- A continued proactive response to the opioid crisis and establishing harm reduction services in our city, as well as continued advocacy on this issue with the provincial and federal governments.
- Increased representation of the small business voice in Lethbridge, and continue to support and advocate for our business community at the local, provincial, and federal levels.
- Proactive succession planning for the future of our city’s leadership as we move into the future.
- Ensuring our city is well-positioned as its population grows to the 100,000 mark.
"I support Blaine Hyggen for City Council because he is a small business owner that understands the triumphs and struggles of owning a business. His first hand knowledge allows him to have a clear understanding of the positive impact that local entrepreneurship brings to our city and what can be done to encourage small business growth in Lethbridge."
Levi Guerra, Owner of Artrageous Advertising
"Blaine Hyggen is a man of his word who cares about his community and will do everything he can to make it a better place for all of us to live and work. If you have a conversation with Blaine he will give you his honest feedback and will tell you where he stands on the issue. Expect only the truth from Blaine as opposed to “lip service” and then changing his vote for political reasons. This is the type of councillor who can help our city become more effective."
Mike Davis, General Manager of Davis GMC Buick
"I have known Blaine for almost 20 years. I have particularly enjoyed his focus on family and small business. I have seen him volunteer with a number of organizations in a variety of capacities. He has a particular affinity towards youth. Blaine has the ability to see things both as they are and as they can be. I appreciate that he listens well and is open to new ideas and suggestions. I have enjoyed watching him grow his own small business. He understands well what a dollar means to a young family, to a student and to seniors. I feel that Blaine has been an excellent City Council member, and wholeheartedly endorse him. I feel he is an asset to our community."
"I have known Blaine for only a few years, and in that time he has asked me many questions in relation to my growing businesses and what the city is doing to help and hinder our growth and stability. Blaine is a genuine person who has a passion for the city and the growth and prosperity of the businesses that keep its citizens employed. I support Blaine Hyggen in his pursuit of re-election to City Council."
Roger Simpson, Owner of Simpson Plumbing
"With Blaine’s business background, I know that he will continue to represent business owners throughout the community. I’m in full support of his campaign for re-election"
Randy Dunlop, Owner of Dunlop Ford and Dunlop Sterling